Self-Storage units are needed by residential customers for storage of personal items as well as by non-resident customers for storage of boats, RV’s, and sand toys. It is envisaged that 80% of the planned self-storage units will be taken up by the non-residential segment of the market and the remaining 20% will be directed toward the residential segment. Market research shows that the annual market potential for the residential self-storage service in the Lake Havasu City area is about 5,000 customers. The non-residents segment potential is substantially higher at 250,000 or more customers per year and is based on the Self-Storage Association’s assumption that 40% to 55% of population has used self-storage facilities. This estimate includes individuals who need storage facilities due to moving arrangements or to store excess household property. Both market segments are expected to grow at a 5% annual rate. This survey of visitors to Lake Havasu City, Arizona was undertaken to gather more reliable regional data than is available from statewide or national panel surveys which often contain too few cases to reliably represent area visitation. This survey process collected a total of 711 surveys from Lake Havasu City over a 12-month period from July 2015 through June 20016 – a more than sufficient sample size to provide reliable results. This information will assist Lake Havasu City with targeted marketing, product development, and advocacy for an industry that is critical to the health of the regional economy. Generally, the Lake Havasu City area is a primary destination for affluent Baby-boomer aged individuals on leisure vacations, who stay multiple nights, enjoy water recreation, hike and shop in the area. A summary of the specific findings of the visitor survey follows:

Lake Havasu, AZ
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu, AZ

  • Nearly equal male (50.8%) and female (49.2%) participants appeared in the survey sample.
  • The average age of visitors was 50.8 years (median age 52 years), with males (49.8 years) slightly younger than female visitors (51.9 years).
  • The average party size was 2.8 people (1.4 men, 1.4 women). One quarter (24.2%) of parties traveled with children under the age of 18 years.
  • The great majority of visitors (60.5%) traveled in family groups, while a further 15.8 percent traveled in groups of family and friends. Friends only parties (12.6%) and those traveling alone (8.9%) accounted for most of the remaining travel party types..
  • Travelers to Lake Havasu City had high average annual household incomes, $73,650 on average.
  • Impressively, almost three quarters of visitors (72.8%) indicated that Lake Havasu City was their primary destination; the remaining 27.2 percent were bound to another destination.
  • Most visitors to Lake Havasu City were traveling for vacation-leisure purposes (63.5%), followedby those passing through (9.8%) or visiting friends/relatives (7.6%). Business travelers and individuals combining business and pleasure accounted for smaller percentages.
  • A majority of visitors to Lake Havasu City traveled in a private vehicle (63.9%) with an additional 27.6 percent using a rental car. And 5.9 percent were traveling in a RV/Camper.
  • Day visitors spent an average of 4.3 hours in Lake Havasu City while overnight visitors stayed for 3.9 nights.
  • Overnight visitors who primarily came to Lake Havasu City for vacation and leisure reported the longest stay (4.9 nights) along with those Visiting friends and/or relatives (4.7 nights).
  • Overnight visitors to Lake Havasu City stayed in a variety of accommodations; 48.8 percent stayed in a hotel or motel, 35.7 percent stayed in a timeshare property, and 8.7 percent stayed in a condominium vacation rental.
  • More than one third (36.5%) of all overnight respondents stayed in Lake Havasu City prior to taking the survey, while a larger percentage (70.5%) were staying the night in Lake Havasu City after taking the survey.
  • Over a quarter of all visitors to Lake Havasu City came from California (27.9%), followed by Arizona (21.7%). Canadian visitors accounted for more than half (58.4%) of all international
    visitors.
  • Visitors had significant expenditures in Lake Havasu City. Average per party per day expenditures by category were: lodging ($146), restaurant and grocery ($107), transportation including gas ($72), recreation-tour-entrance fees or permits ($91), shopping or arts and crafts purchases ($75), and “other” ($100). ™ Visiting area beaches and parks along with shopping were the most popular activities for visitors to Lake Havasu City. Specifically, water-related recreation including boating and lake tours along with waterskiing were popular.
  • Lake Havasu City visitors were most often attracted to the London Bridge (87.8%) and English Village (58%), in addition to Lake Havasu (64.7%) and the London Bridge Beach (41.1%).
  • Visitors to Lake Havasu City evidenced an elevated level of satisfaction with their trip. Overall satisfaction levels with visitor experiences in Lake Havasu City averaged 7.6 out of a possible 10.